Friday, February 13, 2009

PALM SPRINGS REVISITED


(Clicking on any photo will show the large view)




After several weeks of 80+ degree weather, the temperature has now dropped 40 degrees with rain, hail and snow on the mountains around us! However, we need it and it IS February after all but it does threaten to dampen our Valentine's Day weekend in Palm Springs.

I am now just over half way in my treatment with 24 down and 21 to go. Interestingly enough, I'm meeting an average of 2 new guys per day with bad prostates so I figure, by the end, I will have made 90 new friends! Also, Marianne and I are both getting our teeth worked on at the dental school while we're here so one could say I'm getting fixed top to bottom.

We kicked off our stay in Palm Springs with a ride on its world famous tram that goes from the valley floor to 8,600 ft. With the forecasted rain holding off, we had a beautiful clear day in the snow at the top and some spectacular valley views.




In the afternoon we met our friend, Lorraine, as she finished a 100 mile bike ride around the area with 10,000 other pedalers. We were all in the need of a little hydration which a local IPA satisfied nicely.

Sunday AM found us rising at 4.30 to do the Palm Springs Half Marathon with our new neighbor, Peggy. After 13.1 miles of pavement pounding, I was surprised to find that I had finished 3rd in my age group. After all, I hadn't run a half marathon in years and had no idea how I'd do.






In the afternoon we had a great time checking out The Living Desert which features a spectacular array of plants, animals, birds etc. spread over many acres - much more realistic than any zoo we've ever visited. The impending storm did in fact curtail our planned visit to Joshua Tree National Park as we now look out at the downpour on Presidents'Day.

1 comment: